North Korea shot two projectiles on Saturday morning that appear to be short-range missiles. South Korean news agency Yonhap reports based on military information that the projectiles launched from the eastern province of Hamgyong-namdo have ended up in the Japanese Sea.
Saturday’s launch is the seventh North Korean rocket test since US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un met in June. Since February 2019, the parties have been trying to discuss the nuclear disarmament of the Asian country.
A summit in February ended in nothing, but both leaders said they were open to a new meeting. In the meantime, Trump was the first American president to set foot on North Korean soil.
The Asian country wants to get rid of the many international sanctions, or at least be watered down. Trump only wants to go along with this if North Korea is in a hurry with nuclear disarmament.
South Korea is worried about launches
South Korea is worried about the launches. North Korea would stop the missile tests as soon as the United States and South Korea would stop military exercises.
As a result of those exercises, North Korea said earlier this month that it no longer wanted to talk to South Korea. “We (South Korea, ed.) Have nothing to say anymore and we no longer need it,” said a spokesperson. The military exercises have now been completed, but the launches are continuing.
Japanese Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya says the rocket launches are “a clear violation of UN resolutions” and that they cannot be ignored. He confirmed that the missiles were not a direct threat to the security of Japan.
On Friday a top diplomat from North Korea said the country is ready for both a dialogue and a confrontation with the United States.